Created off the back of the hugely successful Black Friday retail sale, Cyber Monday is quickly gaining momentum as the day to shop great travel deals online.
For those who aren’t too sure what the Black Friday or Cyber Monday sales are, here is a quick recap of why they’re growing in importance to Australians, and our handy tips to snag the best travel and accommodation deals on the day.
Annually held on the Friday following Thanksgiving in America, Black Friday signals the start of the holiday shopping season with a giant day of discounts in bricks-and-mortar retailers. With some stores opening as early as 4am, shoppers are out in force to make the most of the serious savings. The biggest shopping day in America, Black Friday is beginning to turn into a worldwide phenomenon with increased global shopping access.
Last year saw a downturn in the performance of Black Friday, however, with the 2015 sale spend ringing in at only $10.4 billion; falling 10% from the staggering $11.6 billion spend in 2014. Experts say the most probable reason for this is the global web-based Cyber Monday Sale.
So what is Cyber Monday?
With the growing popularity of online shopping and international retailers shipping globally, Cyber Monday (28 November 2016) is a natural progression of the Black Friday (25 November 2016) sale shifting online. Coined ‘Cyber Monday’ in 2005, it’s the perfect sale for those who prefer to shop in their pyjamas from the comfort of their own home. In 2015, Cyber Monday reported sales of $3 billion, a 12% increase from 2014, and it’s only going to keep growing. Adobe has forecasted that Cyber Monday in 2016 will generate $3.36 billion in sales.
With so many e-tailers opening up global shipping, and with travel now so easily booked online, Cyber Monday is becoming a big deal for savvy Australian shoppers. With airlines, accommodation providers and online travel agents offering serious Cyber Monday savings, if you’re planning an upcoming holiday Cyber Monday 2016 is the day to jump online and shop travel deals across the web.
5 tips to make the most of Black Friday and Cyber Monday sales
1. Make sure you’re following your favourite retailers and travel providers on social media. Often you’ll be given a sneak peek of sale offers or early access to their discounts.
2. Keep your eye on prices leading up to the sales (especially if you are booking travel) as this will give you a good idea of whether you’re getting a great saving or not.
3. Don’t get caught up with overspending! Map out what you’d like to purchase, have a budget and stick to it. There is nothing worse than buyer’s remorse!
4. If booking flights, use sites like Webjet or Skyscanner to easily identify which airlines are on sale.
5. Sign up to email mailing lists well in advance of the sales. Often they might kick off earlier than the official start date (or continue on afterwards) and if you’re signed up you’ll be the first to know!
To make sure you don’t miss out on Mantra’s exclusive discounts and special offers, be sure to sign up to our mailing list!